Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Underground Halloween in NYC: Recap

How about that 2 weekend-long Halloween extravaganza we just had, folks? Some people might kill me for saying this, but I could probably go for another week of Halloween! The amount of parties in the NYC Underground was insane these past two weekends, I counted about 50 myself (including after hours) between the two weekends (correct me if I'm wrong, because I'm sure there were more.)  I happened to go to three of them myself. First, I went to Boris and Cristian Arango at Stage 48, which was packed to the brim, but a good time none the less. Immediately after Stage 48, I ventured on to see Chriss Vargas at Pacha for his after hours party, dubbed "Erotica," which, in my opinion, is always a must for Halloween--his dark tech/ techno style just fits! I finished then finished off my two week long Halloween celebration with Carlo Lio, The Junkies, and Nathan Barato, who all played back to back to back, at Studio Square Loft in Queens on the 31st, which although it wasn't essentially as wild as the first two parties, the music was some of the best, and the cherry on top of what was one of my best Halloweens ever since I gave up trick-or-treating. I desperately wanted to go check out Sankey's , Manhattan's newest underground clubbing destination, but I unfortunately was unable to do so. As soon as I go (hopefully within the next two weeks) I will definitely put my two cents in.



Back to my Halloween recap. Each DJ's set was executed to creepy, eerie Halloween perfection. But, although the music was on point, I was more taken with another element of the parties. What a VIBE! Everywhere I went, I saw everyone dancing, socializing, and smiling. I also must mention that I saw a ton of creative, sick costumes! Check my boy Michael and I below at Studio Square Loft--I was a "Futuristic Sugar Skull" (loved everything about my look except for my dress, which looking back did not go with the rest of my look..oh well) but this kid blew it out of the park with his outfit he was an evil-looking demon, but lightened up his costume and face makeup with shiny jewels and reflective pieces. House Heads love to go all out on Halloween, that's for sure!


                   Check it: Michael on the left, me on the right at Studio Square in Queens, NY. That dres did not 
                 go with the rest of my costume, but how fabulous does he look?!? This boy had heels on, too. Uff!

Something else was in the air these past two weeks. People had a different attitude, a different swagger. Perhaps since it's the one night a year you can dress up however you want (scratch that-two weekends to dress up however you want,) people allow themselves to step out of their comfort zones and be whatever they want to be. No matter where I was this weekend, everyone held their heads high and WERKED it (more so then usual,) wether they were socializing with others, dancing, or just bobbing their heads up and down to the beat. In addition to this increased confidence, I noticed that people didn't have their smart phones weren't out half as much. Less people were constantly taking flicks with their friends and recording a DJ sets, and more club goers were actually getting into and enjoying the party!  This energy was infectious, and everyone caught on. I know that I certainly did. I soaked it up, loving every second of it. I danced and danced all night, hung out with old friends, and met some new ones. I didn't want to leave any of the parties I went to, even when the music stopped playing. Need some visuals to match my description? Just peep this video from Stage 48 from October 25th, and you'll surely catch my drift.




 What inspired all of this passion and excitement these past two weekends? I honestly think the holiday is to blame. Halloween, is something special. It's more than besides horror movies and endless candy (although all of those things are amazing.)  It inspires creativity. Everyone displays the costumes they made/ put together proudly. DJs change things up, plan their sets around it.  Everyone, especially those who don't go out as often, comes out to celebrate. It's a combination of all of that and more. It all feels like something new and different, and that's exciting for people.  From the professional gogo dancers on stage, to the party goers on the main dance floors, everyone had a little extra pep in their step. There is just something special about Halloween that makes underground nightlife all that more magical, and I already cannot wait to see what next year is going to bring (and have already begun thinking up another costume… still don't know what I was thinking when I picked that dress for my last costume… mistake!!!)


No comments:

Post a Comment