Friday, October 4, 2013

Track Talking

Well, I hope that whoever is reading this is having/ has had a better Friday night than I'm having at this very moment. Normally, I'd be getting ready for a long night of musical fun with my friends, but no. Being that I have three midterms next week, I promised myself I'd behave.  You have to start acting like an adult sometime, right?  Currently, I'm posted up in my bed with a cold glass of Pinot Grigio (maybe not behaving so well) casually glossing over a mess of review sheets for each of my classes, trying to flirt with the idea of delving into the immense workload that lays before me.  Why am I being so lazy you ask? Well, it could be my intense senioritis that I've been coming down with in the past two weeks.  Or maybe this second glass of wine is going to my head. (Haha!) However, how the latter may be a part of the equation, neither are completely to blame for my current goldfish-like attention span.  I must confess that Beatport and Soundcloud have taken over both my mind and body. My head won't stop from moving side to side, and my foot bobbing up and down to the beat. My mind is five feet in the air above me. The music has taken over.  For me (and I'm sure for many others) your favorite music can the most distracting, yet most wonderful thing in this world.  Right now for me, it's all about the tech and deep house. About 30 minutes ago, I downloaded some musical therapy off of Beatport.  Actually, I can't take all the credit. I stole about ten tracks from my DJ boyfriend who, although I pride myself on being and Underground aficionado, is a lot more knowledgable than me when it comes to underground sound. So, just in case you're staying in on a Friday night (like me) or if you're reading this noontime on Saturday, here is what all my fussing around is about. This track right here, "Infinity" by Infinity Ink, is too GOOD! This is perfect for listeners who can't live without their vocals. It's even sweeter for the 90s kids, like me. Both the lyrics and the voice of the guy belting them out sounded like something that would have appeared on TRL in 1998. This joint is definitely what I like to dub "old school sound with a new school flair." Although the vocals are vintage-inspired, everything else about the song fits perfectly into today's scene. Give it a listen. Unlike the first one, I actually didn't steal this track from my boyfriend. If you're looking to "get deep," this baby will help you find your happy place. It's soothing, with a rap vocal snippet with an attitude that commands attention (I don't know if anyone listened to The Game's track "Dreams," before, but that is where the snippet is from.) It's smooth and bad ass all at the same time. Sidney Charles is by far one of my favorite producers right now. Most of the songs this dude churns out, in my opinion, are pure musical gold. This joint is no different from his other masterpieces. This track is techy, it's raw, and, to top it all off, features a nice NWA sample. Did you hear what he just did there? Heck yeah, gangster house music. Thank you, Mr. Charles.


No comments:

Post a Comment